Small businesses often find themselves vying for the spotlight against larger, well-established corporations. It’s a challenging task, but the good news is there are ways for these small businesses to level the playing field and even thrive. One effective strategy involves combining local SEO tactics and an optimised web design to appeal to targeted local customers.
In this blog, we will delve into ways small businesses can utilise local SEO practices and web design elements to attract more local customers and find success.
1. Create a Google My Business Listing
A robust online presence is a must for businesses in the digital age. One crucial aspect of achieving this is claiming and optimising your Google My Business (GMB) listing. GMB is a free service provided by Google that allows businesses to manage their online presence across the search engine giant’s various platforms, including Google Maps. Your GMB listing can turn into a powerful local SEO tool that helps attract local customers, provided you do the following:
- Claim Your Listing: To get started, search for your business in Google Maps. If you don’t see your business or it’s listed as unclaimed, you will need to claim it or create a new one. Follow Google’s step-by-step instructions on how to claim and create listings.
- Fill Out Your Listing Completely: The more information you provide about your business, the better your visibility. Include details such as your business’s address, phone number, website, opening hours, and any relevant photos.
- Choose the Right Category: When creating your GMB listing, selecting the most accurate and specific primary business category is crucial. This will help Google understand your business and display it for relevant searches.
2. Optimise Your Website for Local Search
A localised website can help your business attract customers in your area, as it caters specifically to their needs and preferences. Some tips for optimising your site for local search include:
- Use Location-Specific Keywords: Incorporating town, city, or regional names into your website content can help search engines identify your business’s location and boost your local SEO ranking.
- Create Dedicated Landing Pages for Different Locations: If your business operates in multiple areas, consider creating separate landing pages for each one. This can improve your visibility in these locales and also enable you to customise the content and experience for different audiences.
- Embed Google Maps: Integrating Google Maps on your website, particularly on your contact page, makes it simpler for potential customers to find and reach you. This can also signal to search engines your geographical relevance.
3. Build Local Citations and Backlinks
Local citations and backlinks serve as online endorsements for your business, consequently playing a vital role in boosting your local SEO efforts. Citations refer to listings in online directories, while backlinks are instances where other websites link back to yours.
- Look For Local Directories and Websites: Start by finding online directories specific to your region or industry, such as Yelp or TripAdvisor. Ensure you include accurate and up-to-date information when submitting your business listing.
- Obtain Quality Backlinks: Partner with local businesses, charities or events to create mutually beneficial relationships, which can lead to receiving valuable backlinks. Also, consider creating shareable content that other websites will organically link to, such as blog posts or infographics.
4. Leverage Schema Markup for Local Businesses
Utilising schema markup, a form of structured data, on your website can aid search engines in understanding your business and its offerings better. This can significantly improve your local search rankings and your overall visibility. To implement schema markup on your website, you will need to:
- Add LocalBusiness Markup: This type of schema markup includes business-specific information like a name, address, phone number, opening hours, and a description of products or services.
Combining local SEO strategies with an optimised web design can be a game-changer for small businesses seeking to attract more local customers. Don’t hesitate to invest in a well-designed website and effective local SEO tactics to reap the benefits of a stronger online presence and higher rankings in local search results. Remember, your website is your digital storefront, and with the right combination of local SEO and web design, you can make a lasting impression on potential customers in your area.
Digital Marketing Scotland provides world-class SEO, pay-per-click and digital marketing consultancy services to help you grow your business. We offer a range of digital marketing services to help you maximise your business’s potential. We’ll help you to achieve real results now. If you need SEO-friendly web design in Edinburgh, get in touch with us to get started!